- Adults grow in excess of 40cm and typically weigh up to 500g.
- Brown Rats have a tail shorter than their body and smaller ears compared to the Black Rat.
- Female rats can have between 3-6 litters per year with 5-8 young per litter.
- The gestation period is 3-4 weeks whilst sexual maturity takes 10-12 weeks after birth.
- Rats are very adaptable when it comes to habitats and will burrow, live above ground and due to being extremely agile climbers are often found in loft spaces.
- Preferred foodstuffs are cereals although they will eat pretty much anything. Brown rats are both carniverous and cannibalistic.
- Rats will eat around 30g of food and drink 60ml per day.
- The Brown Rat is the only species to be found in UK sewers.
- Initial clearances of Mice/Rats can be carried out using rodenticides or non chemical methods.
- Multiple visits are generally required to achieve effective control and programmed routine visits enable preventive action in selective environments.
- Proofing measures against the entry of Mice/Rats to buildings will prevent repetitive or potential ingress.